We the People
Grade Level - 8th Grade History and Geography
This Constitution unit is to provide teachers with a basic understanding of the principles that
guide our government to this day. Through hands-on activities, students will develop an
understanding how the United States government works and why the Constitution is a living
A. Concept Objectives
1. Students understand the purposes of government and the basic constitutional principles of the United States republican form of government. (Colorado State Civics Standard #1)
B. Content from the Core Knowledge Sequence (p. 191)
1. Civics: The Constitution—Principles and Structure of American Democracy
C. Skill Objectives
1. Students will use note-taking skills.
2. Students will be able to locate information in a document.
3. Students will be able to follow a flow chart
4. Students will use communication skills in a small group.
5. Students will write a document to present to a group of peers.
6. Students will work with multiple resources.
7. Students will review, through a game, the concepts covered in the entire unit.
8. Students will read from primary sources (The US Constitution, Bill of Rights and Declaration of Independence)